Domestic - Electrician in South Yorkshire


Covering Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster and Chesterfield area.

South Yorkshire Electrician – I am David Craven, a fully qualified electrician with 32 years experience in all types of electrical work. Living in Thorpe Hesley, I cover Rotherham, Sheffield, Barnsley, Doncaster and the Chesterfield area. I pride myself on providing a friendly, reliable and professional service to domestic, commercial and industrial customers.


Dining-Area  Fuse Box, South Yorkshire Electrician  Outdoor-Electrics

All my work is carried out to the latest edition of the current Electrical Regulations, BS7671 17th Edition and is fully guaranteed. Craven Electrical Services is insured with public liability insurance and all materials are purchased from reputable companies supplying British Standard materials.

Most of my work comes from recommendations by satisfied customers. For this reason, it is important to me that you are happy with the work carried out, leaving you feeling confident to call on my services again, as well as recommending me to your family and friends.

I offer a comprehensive service covering all aspects of electrical work. No job is too small and I am happy to give a free, no obligation quote at a time that is convenient for you. This can be after work, during the day, or at the weekend.

I often work in conjunction with other trades such as builders and plumbers to provide customers with a hassle free, complete installation service.

Here is a list of some of the popular services I provide: 


Whether you would like to simply replace the front plate of your sockets for a more modern design, or add an additional socket to an existing room give me a call. The cheapest and easiest way to gain an extra socket is to convert an existing single socket into a double. Other than chiselling out some space for the larger back box, this is a quick and simple job. If you are wanting to add new sockets, I’ll take you through the options you have for your room. If you find yourself running out of sockets for all your gadgets, there is now a simple solution. Sockets are now available with USB outlets, ideal for charging iPads, iPhones, tablets, mobiles and cameras.
Outdoor sockets are becoming ever more popular for plugging in lawn mowers, garden heaters, Christmas lights, power washers, or a music player.
Replacing a light fitting, or switch is pretty straightforward. If you have some basic electrical experience you may be able to do the job yourself. However, if you are not confident about doing the work, or you simply don’t have the time, give me a ring, no job is too small. If you are wanting a new light, or an existing light moving I’ll be happy to give you a free quote.
There are many reasons why an electrical fault may occur. It could be that your supply keeps tripping, or cutting out, sockets / switches are not working, or lightbulbs constantly blowing. I’ll inspect your system and work out what is going wrong. Likely causes are often an overloaded circuit, loose connections, broken/damaged cables, or a faulty appliance.
A modern consumer unit has miniature circuit breakers and a RCD (residual current device). These protect against accidental shock and electrical failure, tripping when a circuit overloads disconnecting the electricity before any heat builds up, or nasty shock is received. New consumer units are also much easier to use than old fuse boards. If a fuse blows in an old unit you’ve got to change the fuse wire, if a MCB (miniature circuit breaker) blows on a new board, you just switch it back on like a light switch.

If you are considering an extension to your home, or additional lights and sockets, I will review the capacity of your existing unit to ensure it is not overloaded with the extra usage. If you have any questions, or doubts about the safety, or size of your existing unit, please get in touch. I will be happy to provide verbal advice, or carry out a visual safety/capacity inspection free of charge to local customers.

There are many uses for outdoor lighting. From giving your home curb appeal, practical lighting to see you safety down dark paths, ambient lighting for decking and patio areas, or security lighting.

Having lights with timers, photocells and remote controls ensures you will never come home to a dark and gloomy house. And with new energy efficient bulbs, you can be confident they won’t cost you the earth to run. I can take you through your options of what type of light would be most suitable and cost efficient for your needs.

Click here to read my guide on outdoor lighting.

Irrespective of whether you are having a new installation, or just sprucing up your existing kitchen, or bathroom I can advise on a full range of options including:


  • Additional sockets and switches
  • Change existing lights for new energy efficient LED lighting
  • Extractor fans
  • Oven and hob supply
  • Under unit and plinth lighting


  • Extractor fans
  • Shaver sockets
  • Electric underfloor heating
  • Bathroom body dryers
  • Install, or replace existing electric shower
If you already know that you need a full, or partial rewire, I’ll be happy to give you a free, no obligation quote.

There are no set guidelines as to when a property should be rewired. Just because your wiring is old, doesn’t mean it is unsafe. Many factors can affect the wear and tear of your electrical installation, including the materials used, the quality of workmanship during the initial wiring and how the property has been used over that time. If you are unsure if you need a rewire, I will happily come and inspect and test the wiring and tell you if anything needs upgrading.

As a very general guide, if a property has not been rewired in the last 25-30 years, it’s worth having the wiring checked for safety. If you do not plan on any major internal alterations, or extensions and the wiring is in good condition and you are not experiencing any problems a safety check may be all that is needed for peace of mind. However, if you are planning on some major remodelling work that constitutes a material alternation, as defined by the building regulations, it is likely that current building regulations will require you to update part, if not all of the property, including upgrading the consumer unit (fuse box). Similarly, the same applies if you intend to extend, convert an attic, or garage building. If you are unsure if your wiring is safe, or if a part, or full rewire is necessary, I will gladly give you advice, or arrange a visit to inspect the existing wiring and consumer unit/fuse box.

Ponds and water features make a great focal point. Whether you need a pond pump for your filtration system, water feature, or you just want some lights to illuminate the area, give me call. Nowadays, you can purchase a water feature with no need for a pond. Most of these simply plug in, only requiring an outside socket.
Garages and sheds can be far more useful if they have an electrical supply. Contact me for a free inspection, advice and quotation.
A periodic inspection is an inspection and associated testing to check if the electrical installation is in a satisfactory condition for continued use. On completion, an Electrical Installation Condition Report will be issued detailing any observed damage, deterioration, defects, dangerous conditions and any non-compliance with current electrical safety standards. It is recommended, but not compulsory for owner-occupied properties to be tested every 10 years.

You can also carry out some simple regular checks yourself. Check around the house for the condition of cables, switches, sockets and other accessories. If you notice anything unusual, for example burn marks on plugs and sockets, or sounds of arching (buzzing and crackling), circuit breakers tripping, then it’s worth having an inspection.

A Landlord has a duty of care to their tenant and must ensure that the installation is safe when they enter the property and is maintained throughout the tenure.  If the property is HMO (House in Multiple Occupation), there is a legal obligation to have a periodic inspection carried out every five years. If the property is not HMO, there is no legal obligation to get the instillation tested on a periodic basis. However, it is recommended that a full periodic inspection is carried out every five years, or on change of tenancy, whichever comes first. If you are a Landlord, or letting agency in need of an electrician, please get in touch.
An electric cooker must be fitted on its own circuit controlled by its own fuse at the consumer unit. Electric cookers draw lots of current because of the heat they produce, therefore a thicker cable and a double pole isolating switch (usually sited to one side of the cooker) is required, along with a larger fuse at the circuit breaker. If you are relocating your existing cooker, or doing a straight swap replacement on an old appliance, I can carry this work out for you at a competitive price.
With floor tiles becoming ever more popular, so is electric underfloor heating. Easy to install and perfect for bathroom and kitchen tiled floors.
Problems with an immersion heater always bring rise to that age old question – Do I need a plumber, an electrician, or both? Here are a few potential situations you may come across to help you make a decision.

  • If the element in your cylinder tank has gone, you will be receiving no hot water through your tap. This means you’ll need a plumber to drain your tank and replace the old element. The plumber will be able to fit a new element and connect it to the existing electricity supply without the need for an electrician.
  • If your thermostat is faulty your water will be exceptionally hot. An electrician, or a plumber can replace your thermostat.
  • If your circuit breaker has tripped, or fuse blown, call an electrician.
  • If your water has reduce flow, or there is a leak you’ll need a plumber.
  • If your hot water remains heated, even when your immersion is switched off, you may have a faulty switch and therefore you will need an electrician.
I provide full installation, or replacement of an existing electric shower.
New elements and thermal links can be supplied and fitted to existing storage radiators. I can also supply and install new storage, or panel heaters.
Having an alarm system fitted is one of the best ways to deter burglars. I can provide a quote for a new alarm installation, or carry out a service on an existing system.